Whilst we have not yet seen official advice from England Athletics it is expected that running session will be allowed as pre the current lockdown with a run leader and up to 12 runners. As before we expect that sessions will need to be pre booked and the previous Covid Secure guidelines will need to be followed: ie back to the new normal. Accordingly Pete will be sending round an email inviting you to book sessions from Thursday (so next week Monday and Tuesday sessions will not be run). If the guidelines were to be more restrictive we would try to accommodate the bookings by splitting groups further but if not possible some bookings would need to be cancelled. However currently we do expect that it will be as before.
We are introducing a new automated booking system which should be simpler than the previous email based process. Pete's email will include a link to a booking form and the booking schedule. Click on the link for the form and click on the session you wish to join then press submit. Provided spaces are available you will be be booked into the session. This new system is automated and real time. If you want to check you are booked please click on the link to the schedule.
The previous system was designed to work with the earlier position were there were insufficient spaces to meet all the booking requests and accordingly a booking window was used and it necessary to manually allocate people to ensure it was fair. Now with the 5k groups being supported by at least two run leaders and in particular with Sarah Doole kindly agreeing to be an additional run leader it is expected that we will usually be able to accommodate all requests: as was the case in the last few weeks before the most recent lockdowns: although on a couple of weeks the Saturday morning session was overbooked (with 14 request for 12 places for the final week)
The changes to the previous system are:
1. The system it automated you do not need to send an email to book. However you should still email
2. Bookings are now automated when you submit the form so accordingly are on a first come first served basis. If the number of available spaces is exceeded then you will be added to a waitlist: however it is only expected this may happen in relation to the Saturday morning run but probably most weeks this will be fine.
3. There is no booking window, no priority between your choices, no limit on number of sessions booked but please do not select alternatives (or you will be booked on both).
4. However if you do know what you want to book for the coming week we would still prefer you to book at the weekend:
a) it makes it easier on the run leaders if they know who many are expected: especially fi the group needs to be split
b) if a group is full then if you have booked by 4pm on Sunday you will be offered priority for the following week.
5. You can see your bookings and who else has booked at anytime by clicking on the link in Pete's email. Because you can see the bookings at any time a list will no longer be emailed or posted to Facebook on Sunday. Generally the same link will apply each week but note there may be am updated form issued from time to time in which case the link will change. I am looking at a possible update to send an email to confirm your booking.
6. Note that the online booking schedule is cleared Friday morning (a back up is taken for Covid records): so if you are booked on a weekend run please check your booking before Friday. Do not book until you receive the email from Pete or alternatively check the schedule has been cleared and date reset. If you are making a booking on Friday/Saturday for the the immediate weekend you need to book by emailing
7. If you need to cancel this is as before please send an email to
In compliance with the lockdown all training sessions are for now suspended. Subject to further guidance we do expect to resume the sessions after the lock down ends on 2 December 2020. You can still run with one other person, we are not setting up a system to pair runners, but please feel free to post to our Facebook page if you are looking for someone to run with. Please note you must arrange any such runs with only one specific individual.
We had planned to present awards at the first race of the season but in the circumstances these are being distributed to the club reps to hand out to the award winners.
Izzy Guirdham 1st girl U15 and scoring the maximum possible 40 points
Jamie Keddie 2nd Male 40
Julia Jones 3rd Lady 45
Christine Tait 3rd Lady 60
Lee Adams 7th M40
Deborah Turner 7th F40
We are offering 7 or 8 sessions each week from 5k to 10/11 mile. These sessions operate under Covid guidelines and accordingly must be pre booked, there are restrictions on numbers and other guidance which must be followed. New runners are very welcome to come and join our sessions: whether you are a beginner or experianced runner. Please see the training tab for full details of the sessions available, the booking instructions and the full covid guidance.
Newplace cross country is our own event in the East Sussex Cross Country League, this was race 3 of 6. This year we ran the race as two 2.5 mile loops rather than one 5 mile loop. The event was a great success with 255 runners not including the juniors taking part and plenty of positiive feedback. As usual there was some quality mud to keep the runners happy. Thank you to those who helped on the day, we couldn’t put this event on without your help. Also thank you to all who bought cakes which we asked for a donation a total of £382 was raised from tea and cake.
It was good to not only see plenty of help in marshalling but also 14 running in the race. Running from Uckfield were Jamie Keddie, Lee Adams, David Crowhurst, Jason Remington, Badrinath Mohandas, Andy Stolton, Chris Tatnell, Richard Page, Catherine Harker, Samantha Kedwards, John Ilfe, Steve Primrose, Christine Tait and Michael Hill. We finished 5th team (we run as a combined team with Heathfield) out of 12 teams.